Course aims and content
Aims: This course aims to develop the exercise professional’s understanding of the benefits, challenges and opportunities for working with clients with mental health conditions.
By the end of the course and on completion of the assessments, the exercise professional will be able to design, deliver, monitor, adapt and reflect on exercise and activity sessions with clients referred with mental health conditions.
* Overview of a range of mental health conditions
* Review of different models and theories that have contributed to how mental health problems are diagnosed and treated
* Benefits of exercise for different mental health conditions
* Barriers to exercise and activity for this group (including comorbidities and the effects of medication)
* Client-centred working, roles, responsibilities and boundaries
* Motivation and lifestyle behaviour change theories and application
* How to plan, deliver and evaluate appropriate physical activity and exercise for persons with different mental health conditions
* Review of skills and protocols for working in different environments
Assessment 1: Worksheets
Assessment 2: Theory paper (MCQ and short answer questions)
Assessment 3: Information leaflets
Assessment 4: Client case study and reflective account
A recognised Level 3 qualification in Exercise Referral is recommended but not essential (if you want to be registered with REPs at Level 4 you will need this).
A Level 2 or 3 qualification in the disciplines in which you will be working (e.g. Gym, ETM, Pilates etc).
This is a blended learning format with pre-course study and worksheet completion followed by three face-to-face days. Student contact and tutorials are provided at regular intervals throughout the whole course process to facilitate and support learning.
Case study: To complete the case study you will need to work with a client with a mental health condition for a minimum of 10 sessions and then write a reflective account of the experience and the learning you have gained from doing this.
Dates and venues:
Course 1 – Platinum Training Institute – 9th-11th September 2016